This site was chosen for the nearly eighty foot bluff on which the tower would sit, and was used to mark the north entrance to Milwaukee. 1819 – Appropriated by act of Congress for a lighthouse on The Bodkin and two on North Point, mouth of Patapsco River, Md., March 3, 1819, $9,000. The first lighthouse, built in 1855 of cream city brick, stood 28-feet tall. Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress) Repository It was also added to the Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey as survey HABS WI-358. Museum will be closed for the remainder of 2020; The fees for public tours are: $8 Adults; $5 Adults 65+ $5 Children & Students (with ID) Free Children under 4; Free to active and former military The North Point Lighthouse was just featured in a new book called B is for Beacon, A Great Lakes Lighthouse Alphabet, written by Helen L Wilbur … North Point Range West Lighthouse (Tower lighthouse) First lit in 1822 Deactivated in 1873 (replaced by Craighill Channel Upper Range Front Lighthouse) Dismantled History of the North Point Lighthouse. The North Point Lighthouse Museum is a lighthouse built in 1888 in Lake Park on the East Side of Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States to mark the entrance to the Milwaukee River.The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. 2020 North Point Lighthouse Open Hours & Tour Fees. Open to the public & tours – no reservation needed. ^ “Lives Lived in Lighthouses: Mrs. Stebbins in Charge at North Point for Many Years,” The Milwaukee Journal, April 10, 1897; Wardius and Wardius, Wisconsin Lighthouses, 162-163; “History,” North Point Lighthouse Friends, Inc., accessed June 17, 2014. The North Point Light, also known as North Point Hummock Light is a smaller lighthouse is located on the Northern Point of Moreton Island, in close proximity to Honeymoon Bay and the Champagne Pools. Posted/Updated by Bryan Penberthy on 2007-10-23. Milwaukee became the largest port on the Great Lakes in the 19th century and it remains so today. The North Point Lighthouse, along with approximately 88 other lighthouses, facilitated the intercity travel between: Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay and beyond. Long before there was an East Side, there was a North Point Lighthouse. Today the beacon tower sits surrounded by trees in Lake Park, where it is … North Point Light. The St. Andrews North Point Lighthouse is an active lighthouse in St. Andrews, New Brunswick on the southern tip of the peninsula in the Passamaquoddy Bay; it's commonly known as Pendlebury Lighthouse from the name of the family who took care. North Point Range East Lighthouse (Tower lighthouse) First lit in 1822 Deactivated in 1873 (replaced in function by Craighill Channel Upper Range Rear Lighthouse) Abandoned and destroyed. 1820 – Appropriated on May 14, 1820, an additional $6,600. 1822 – Appropriated on April 30, 1822, an additional $6,600. With this in mind, the birth of the North Point Lighthouse made Milwaukee a more prominent "dot on the map."